Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:25:35 -0800
From:         Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Death Valley Trip
Comments: To: Michael Hart <mjhart853@yahoo.com>

I'll second that. Stop at the Visitor Center, buy a parks pass not just the entry fee good for all US National Parks and such for one year or if you have made it to the top of geezer pass, you can pony up a measly 10$US and get a lifetime pass good at the same set of facilitities for you and most of your entourage in one vanagon forever. (local definition of ever inferred here). The good folks at the VC will sell you one and provide the offroad map.

Greenwater Road is a jewel, but also for stealth camping, owl canyon, and the road to striped butte and the geologist cabin, and many others are there for your pleasure. Be sure to ask about road conditions at the VC, they have a fellow, Brian his name might be, that specializes in checking the byways as part of his commission for conditions.

Texas springs is THE spot locally for the likes of us. The famous JCarp of Utahh and group fame and I shared a memorable couple of days there. So windy that the portapoo blew over and the novice tenting section was seriously rearranged according to mother natures whims at the time. Pix available by request.

One of the memorable events of every DV trip I make is the ceremonial "Date Shake" at the little restaurant at Furnace Creek Ranch. Sit at the counter, on the south side with a view of the frycooks and slowly savor the awesome power of the Timbisha Shoshone inspired date shake. Ask the waiter-folk if you can also lay claim to the remains of the shake that will be residing in the metal cup from the legendary Hamilton Beach milkshake apparatus. You may get a brain cramp and sucked in cheeks trying to imbibe through a straw, so ask for a spoon too. Of course the little cafe sells other fare but none so spectacular as the date shake. The peoplewatching at the cafe is exceptional, a truly cosmopolitan collection of park rats, exotic travellers, back country ramblers, and occasionally, doddering old geefs in buses. Look up dodder in the Funk and Wagnalls and keep an eye peeled for its presence along the way. It's a parasitic critter that looks like a tangle of orange string caught in the sagebrush, the dodder, of course.

Showers are available either stealthily or by paying at the guest counter, the showers are at the warm spring fed swimming pool and are moderately maintained. Bring your own swimming/showering attire.

As you mosey south towards the festivations at BBB, you may pick the route through Shoshone, a small burg with some worthy attractions reached by driving south over Jubilee Pass. My personal favorite is a tiny, eclectic espresso cafe serving the pinnacle of fine italian coffee, Lavazza and memorable handmade soups. David is the proprietor and the chef du cafe and the barista and the dad of the place. It's on the east side of the road kittycornered across from the post office/gas station. There is also a more down to earth cafe that serves famous burgers and elegant fries and beer on the same side of the road as David's. Worth the stop just to refuel so to speak.

Web searches for Lippincott mine, amargosa opera house, ballarat, rhyolite and ashford mills, will reveal even more reason to tarry. After all it's YOUR park.

The new park super is a lady, Sarah Craighead, who is trying to fill the shoes of J.T. Reynolds who retired last January. Big shoes to fill. At the VC, if you have a chance, ask to meet her and thank her for her efforts.

A reasonable park map can be found here : http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/DEVAmap1.pdf

Suitable music for the trip always includes Kansas, The Eagles, Pete Seeger/Woody Guthrie, and "Desert Pete".

Pensionerd. (Lifetime Passholder)