Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:42:34 -0800
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Audible Idiot "Light"...EE Inventor Wanted

By strange coincidence, I am building an Atmel microcontroller based interface board to make this 92 Passat gauge cluster work with my van, and I'm working on building just such a warning system into it. My solution is probably overkill though. Mike S's quick n' dirty schematic is mostly all you need... except for the coolant level sensor, which I think is a bit touchier than a simple "got ground" OR "got 12v" = "start buzzing" system. Since the oil pressure system has its own buzzer, I reckon only the coolant level, coolant temp, and alternator need audible warning systems added. Alternator is easy. Blue wire turns to a ground when the alternator stops, so that's easy. Coolant level is tougher. It goes open on fault, and is in who knows WHAT state when it's OK (probably some random resistance to GND). Coolant temperature isn't much easier a variable resistance to ground, but documented in the Bentley. A buzzer on the blue wire would be good for catching a thrown alternator/water pump belt. Don't know what to do about a stuck thermostat (coolant temp warning) or a coolant leak. Those are pretty easy to do via software with a microcontroller, but probably a little wormy for simple transistor or relay logic without spooking the existing instrumentation. Probably the only "easy" way would be to scab on to the existing warning LED to drive a transistor... and even that gets into Soldering Iron territory.

-- John Bange