Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:09:13 -0800
From:         Robert Ueltzen <robueltzen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      stumped

I sent the below to the Yahoo Tiico group, and am trying you guys, too. Two heads better than one if on separate bodies theory.

I had to replace the head of my Tiico engine. The #1 exhaust valve dropped onto the piston and was pounded back up through the head. The valve didn't fail; the retainer, clips, or spring failed and allowed the valve to drop. FAS found me a nice replacement. I have the engine reassembled but I cannot get it to start. The starter turns the engine over strongly (I recharged the battery before trying to start it), but there is no firing as if there was no fuel or no spark. 1. A noid light shows that all the injectors are getting a signal. 2. The timing light shows I'm getting spark; I tried it on all four plug wires. 3. Right now, the timing is at TDC. I will set to spec when I get it running, but I would think it would start or fire at least at TDC. TDC was determined with a dial indicator on the top of the piston. The distributor rotor is pointing to the the #1 tower of the cap and the firing order is 1-3-4-2. 4. I suspected flooding, but I pulled the plugs and left the cylinders open for an hour and then blew out the cylinders with some compressed air. No difference. 5. The camshaft/crank timing appears to be correct; I've done this before with success. The timing belt slipped several years ago because the threads in the head for the timing belt tensioning pulley were stripped - thanks REMTEC. I replaced the timing belt so I don't think a stretched belt is throwing off the valve timing. My question here is that I used the procedure/marks described in Bentley to set the valve/crank timing _ dot on camshaft sprocket lined up with the top edge of the cylinder head (distributor side) and the dot on the intermediate shaft lined up with the mark on the crank pulley. I'm not certain this applies to the Tiico engine, but I thought it was the same procedure I used previously with success. 6. I connected my OBD II code reader. I don't really know if this works with our Tiico system, but I thought I would try it. No DTC's were present; although System Status light indicated a pending DTC or that the monitors have not run their testing (maybe because the engine didn't start). 7. I've rechecked the wiring. I had to disconnect the oil pressure sensor, the throttle position sensor, the MAP sensor, the injector connections, and the distributor cap to remove and replace the head. They're all properly reconnected. 8. I did replace the old van injector and Tiico fuel rail with an A2 rail and new injectors and a new fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pressure rises to 46PSI with the starter turning the engine over and drops to 41 after ten minutes sitting and remains at 41 overnight.

Any ideas where I've gone wrong? In regards to the engine, not my personal life, please :)

rob u