Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:13:51 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rubber...Our best friend...Our worst enemy
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>

I think you are right concerning all the examples given with one possible exception. Certainly, tires, belts, hoses (though the waterboxer is unconscionably complicated), fuel lines can all be monitored and r&r done as needed, and as one would do with any vehicle. The head "gaskets"? I dunno. Certainly, since I've owned my camper, I've done everything to maintain (and to make up for possible previous owner neglect) the cooling system. But, the heads are now leaking. Did the previous owner use the wrong antifreeze? Was the rebuild botched, only 30K miles ago? Or is this just an inherently bad design, and will leak regardless? Dunno. Dunno if rubber vs. synthetic vs. typical metal and composite gaskets make the difference either.

David Mc