Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:54:15 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: stumped
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

sure, it's quite possible to get the distributor drive shaft/gear in incorrectly, ....resulting in # 1 spark plug position on the distributor cap being not where it belongs. I've seen that about 50 times on VW bugs.

however........it sure is darn easy to tell which cylinder it's firing on . Since # 1 is the right forward cylinder, when the vales for its 'paired opposite' cylinder, # 3, the left forward cylinder.........when the valves for $ 3 are at 'point of balance' ( intake just closing, exhaust just starting to open, if turning the engine forward ) .....when 3 is like that, it's on # 1.

it could happen in waterboxers too, but those cases are so seldomly spit that there's little opportunity for people to put the dist drive shaft in wrong. One important tip - always keep the distributor or something, like a wine cork, in the distributor hole in the block..... if you turn the engine with the distributor removed, there is some change of the shaft lifting up .......... and jamming even , due to two small metal rings on the bottom of it that can get cocked out of place, if that shaft lifts up.

even splitting Type I cases, I leave the distributor in the left case half the whole time. But I never touch that stuff anymore now anyway.

Scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 6:44 AM Subject: Re: stumped