Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:24:56 -0500
From:         pdooley <psdooley@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: ominous sounds from automatic transmission
Comments: To: Richard DIXON <dickd@SYMPATICO.CA>

My auto trans knowledge is limited and foggy, but that sounds like the pistons that apply pressure to the bands which slow the drums are maybe sticking or the valve body is not sending adequate pressure. I think the pistons are fed pressure from the valve body, so maybe the VB is dirty.

I wouldn't really describe the problem as "slippy", it just doesn't engage at the time, kind of like being in Neutral, then engages with a "clunck'. Then, all I imagine are broken gear teeth! This occurs whether vehicle is hot or cold and it is an irregular occurance. I'm unsure as to what is in a tranny kit, vehicle and paperwork in storage now but there was more to it than filters, some mechanical parts I believe. Mileage = 125000 km Thoughts out there?? Richard

From: scottdaniel@turbovans.com To: dickd@sympatico.ca, Subject: Re: ominous sounds from automatic transmission Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:30:09 -0800

hi. is it 'slippy' in reverse, especially cold ? Not like it won't go into reverse, but it feels very slippy, usually about 20 seconds or so.

that's semi-normal, though if it does it all the time, that's not really right of course. I had one that was freshly rebuilt that did that , not badly ........but it wasn't 'clunk in gear' ........but slippy, just a little, and after sitting overnight.

I've had them do that for a long time too - often just sometimes, and not 'always always.'

what's in a 'tranny kit' ? ......just a filter screen or what. perhaps Daryl will chime in -

sticky valve body parts come to mind . how many miles on it ? Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: Richard DIXON