Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Dec 2009 09:59:47 -0500
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: head gaskets

Head thread, mmm, this one is dated DEC 2009, there is head thread every few months and that for the last 14 years.

Nothing as change, same problem same questions.

Do some searching, you will find a lot of stuff.

I sealed over 55 wasser engine in the past 7 years, yeap, i count them last week.

I will not and never again reuse stock VW heads, worse decision you can ever take.

Using a 20 +yo casting? tell me why you should choose such a path. A crack somewhere is eminent and NORMAL! And don't think they only crack from the inside and NOT only between valve, plain wrong. Cracking is ONE problem, pitting, stud stretching, head not mating properly are other know problem. Crack can occur in different location: Outside between spark plug - head stud - and anywhere else for that matter. Inside it can occur also anywhere around the exhaust port.

This summer we cleaned the shop, again, 22 old heads in some box, i kept them just in case i could save some. Some years ago i posted here saying i have never seen many cracked heads... he he he. Why the heck i did such a post i don't know??? I was blinded i guess.

20 heads went to the metal guy. 6 engine block/core also, the water jacket side was so damage that they could not be save.

Picture of the day: http://www.benplace.com/ron/old_engine2.jpg

Some of you guys should not own a Vanagon, it seem that you don't have the money to fix them properly. They are high maintenance van/engine. I see so many young kid buying a cheap Vanagon to go surfing or for similar reason and soon after they cry for help on forum or mailing list because they have engine trouble and they can't fix them.

Any good running Vanagon will end up costing you at least 20K$.

I have many pictures and videos showing how to properly sealed those heads

http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta Have fun

Unless you fix those engine properly, you are driving a time bomb.

Ben http://www.benplace.com