Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:23:56 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: report on Limited Slip Differential
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <goose1047@GMAIL.COM>

re I haven't heard of an LSD for a syncro front diff - just locking front diffs, >> solid shaft instead of VC, etc.> > A viscous coupling IS an LSD, just using fluid mechanics instead of > solid. Its locking ratio can be altered by changing the fluid > viscosity.

those two statements suggest that you see the VC as a limit slip for the front differential. If so, , I belive you are incorrect there buddy.

The VC is not a differential between the two front axles. it is a 'limited slip or grab device" between front and rear axles and differentials.

people get nutty when I say the VC is a front-rear 'differential' as it's not a differential in the usual sense ........like ones in a front or rear diffs that provides and controls distribution to the axles on either side of whichever diff.

but it does allow 'slip' when needed, front to rear, and gives 'grab' when needed.

In AWD cars there is need for some sort of give or slip or differentiaing in 3 places, rear, front, and front-to-rear. that is because, on pavement, when a car goes around a corner, all four wheels travel a different distance.

this is why you feel binding on a 4WD ( not AWD ) vehicle on pavement when it's in 4WD - there's no give or slip front to rear. True AWD vehciels need 'some slip, and grab when desired' front to rear , which the VC does.

the VC has nothing to do with controling the axles of the front diff. It would need to have a locker there, or an LSD - otherwise a syncro front differential is a normal 'open' differential. scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Grebneff" <goose1047@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:25 AM Subject: Re: report on Limited Slip Differential