Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:56:20 -0800
From:         VW Vanagon <t3vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Insurance Frustration
Comments: To: Stephen Cebula <sfcebula@yahoo.com>

Howdy Steve-

First off, as many have said, my condolences on the loss of use of your Vanagon.

As an insurance agent AND someone who's gone through this myself in the recent past, I can tell you that you're getting some great advice here. Your insurance company wants to get this taken care of ASAP and does NOT want to hold on to your Van.

Do your research - *including* GoWesty rebuilds. As I recall, GoWesty has a section showcasing rigs that they've sold, including the final selling price. This is a great place to find ammunition. Reason for this is that it's going to show what comparable vehicles are selling for on the extremely high end. This will make your goal seem much more palatable and reasonable.

As far as finding receipts on work that you've done, don't be confused on this point. This is good for reinforcing the condition of your vehicle, but means absolutely squat from a monetary perspective. All it will be considered for is proof that certain work has been done and when that work was done. It will NOT be taken into consideration for a dollar figure to add to the bottom line, no ifs, ands, or buts about this point.

Also, bear in mind that State Division of Insurance offices *do not generally represent the insured*! They represent, and are generally comprised of, representatives of insurance companies. The insured generally doesn't have much recourse here, with the exception of gross mishandling of claims or any situation that would require a claim be made on an agent's professional Errors & Omissions policy. In this case (and every case of a totaled Vanagon) the companies are operating within their means and by the letter of the law (officially).

All that being said, the main thing to remember is that insurance companies, REGARDLESS OF HOW HAPPY AND GREAT THEIR ADVERTISING IS, exist for one reason and one reason only - TO MAKE MONEY! They can tell you all day long that they're there to represent your interests first and foremost - but they aren't. It's just a pitch. Some offer better customer service than others, but on this point there is no difference from company to company. Matter of fact, state licensing exams beat this into prospective agents - THEY REPRESENT THE INSURER, NOT THE INSURED!!!

So be realistic, but stick to your guns and make your case. They'll tell you that they've done all they can do. They haven't. DON'T BUY IT UNTIL YOU'RE HAPPY WITH THE OUTCOME! If you make your case successfully, your insurer will realize that they can do what you're asking for and still be operating within their underwriting guidelines. That is your, and EVERY Vanagon owner in this situation's ultimate goal.

If you need any further advice or have any questions, please feel free to pmail off-list or even give me a call.

I'd say "good luck", but luck has nothing to do with it. : ) You'll get there. I have faith.

Drew, Las Vegas '90 GL "Blackbeard"