Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Dec 2009 00:18:56 +0100
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      merry christmas - and NVC home insurance question,
              esp for Canadians

Yah, where I am it's already both Christmas & Friday - I hope everyone's enjoying whichever holidays you observe. Festivus for me, I think!

So my question. A few months ago I had a minor roof leak on my new-to-me home in Newfoundland It was an extremely windy and rainy day, which probably contributed to the leak. I called in a roofing company (recommended by my insurance agent). The roofer said when my roof had been put on (recently though before my ownership) the guy hadn't used mastic to waterproof the edges next to my neighbors' houses (it's a row house), and the material he had put on had dried & cracked. Then the weather led to the leak. The roofer put on some mastic, and there have been no troubles since.

My insurance company has just contacted me with several questions, one of which was why my roof leaked.

Now my understanding is that they are not responsible for this repair, and I had no intention billing them for any repairs. (there wasn't any internal damage, fortunately - not enough of a leak)

But I also don't know know how they may respond to my answer about why it leaked. Maybe I've dealt with US insurance for too long? My assumption (or fear) is that they are seeking an excuse to terminate my policy, because somehow I expect that that's what all insurance companies do all the time. Maybe Canadian insurance companies are not like that? I have no idea. US ones certainly seem to be.

So my question, what should I tell them about why the roof leaked? Weather? Roof job done incorrectly by previous owner? (both seem to apply) Neither?

Please reply off-line! And thanks in advance, to anyone who has any good advice.

Joy