Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Dec 2009 18:40:48 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tranny noise: 1st and 2nd. (Short AUDIO Clip)
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

hi. sure, you can 'drive' a vanagon transaxle with an electric motor say, to test if it functions, but without any real load on it .............it's not a real test. You'd have to run one on a dyno, so it could be under load, ....and come to think of it, under both acceleration and deceleration.

I could be noisy under load, and quite otherwise, for example. You can also do a basic 'function test' just turning the input shaft by hand, operating the shift lever etc. For that you sort of need 3 hands, one for each output flange, and one for the input shaft.

but the only 'real' test is to either install and drive it, or tear it all down and inspect/rebuild. A vanagon 2WD trans is actually quite easy to R & R - you just leave the engine supported in place, remove the trans. Only a few connections actually. As long as you don't run into stuck/rusted/stripped fasteners and such, it's not a bad job at all, like under two hours out, and two hours back in. I always get distracted on related small things that need attention myself though , lol.

I'd say check that spare trans - that each gear works, then put it your van and see how it is. Or rig up your electric motor test rig. And if it passes that test, then put it in.

have fun in any case, stay cozy ! Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil n" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:31 PM Subject: Re: Tranny noise: 1st and 2nd. (Short AUDIO Clip)

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> re

>> Anyhow..... Even though it shifts OK, my concern is that if I let it >> go too far, it might damage something that renders the transmission >> useless as a core for rebuild.

> yup........or 'absolutely' .

For sure. Yes! :)

I looked at the pics of the 091 transmission in my Bentley. w/o one apart, up close and personal, it's hard to see how it all works. But I get the gist of how certain shafts (or even the case?) could be affected if something was left unrepaired too long.

> Pursuing a good used one now would be useful too, and even if that one > isn't super good, you could keep the van operational while send in your > current trans for inspection/rebuilding. > > Not the main purpose of my post, and I think you have a DK - an 81 > air-cooled vanagon 4 speed, I happen to have one .........that might be > good.

Thanks Scott.

I actually have a spare from a 1980/81 air cooled. Didn't test drive it though.

IIRC, a Vanagon transmission input shaft sticks out ~ 1". I wonder if I could hook up an electric motor via belt/pulley to bench test the spare transmission for any obvious defects? (noises, inop gears). Likely someone has thought of trying this already though.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines