Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Dec 2009 18:13:12 -0800
From:         Luke Bakken <luke.bakken@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Expansion tank pressure cap - how tight?

> enough. When checking the expansion tank, the past 8 or so drives I've > had to put in about 1 to 2 cups of coolant into the tank before > driving, which fills the tank to the top. I then put the pressure cap > on and reattach the overflow hose. When I get back home after tooling > around, I'll check the overflow tank to see if the level has increased > - sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't (hmmm). The expansion tank > never has any air in it after a drive, but, once the system cools all > the way back down again, there is an air pocket representing about 1 > or 2 cups of lost coolant.

More info on this problem - I think I've found where the leak is in the system. Today before driving the van I checked the expansion tank and sure enough it was missing about 1.5 cups of coolant. I filled it up, tightened the cap well, and drove off. When I got home the van was totally warmed up so I decided to have a look underneath and noticed that it looked like coolant had leaked from one of the tees to the rear heaters - there was a drop of coolant hanging there. No coolant anywhere else (the coolant I thought was from a leak last time was from me making a mess on the refill). The expansion tank was full and without any air bubbles (i.e. no head gasket problems).

I wiped up the drips and made sure everything looked dry and tried to reproduce the drip by driving out on the freeway and back, but could not see more drips! Here's what I think is happening:

* Fill the expansion tank all the way up before taking the van out - put in 1 to 2 cups of coolant.

* Run the van around and once the system starts to pressurize, the coolant begins to leak at that tee. Once enough has leaked so the pressure is back down, the leak stops. The pressure never gets up to the point where coolant flows into the overflow tank, which is why the level of coolant in that tank doesn't seem to change.

* Once the system cools, it's missing that 1 to 2 cups of coolant and I see the air pocket in the expansion tank.

* Repeat from the first step.

Does this make sense? The one part that doesn't make sense to me - if the system is missing coolant on cool-down why is it not sucking coolant from the overflow tank? Maybe the hose to that tank has a leak (it's the original hose) and air is sucking back instead of coolant (two problems instead of just the one).

Thanks for all your input so far, this list is a great resource.

Happy New Year, Luke