Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Dec 2009 23:04:01 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Maybe some VC
Comments: To: Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>

Many of these engines also have an electronic thermal time sensor that is difficult to diagnose and painfully expensive to replace. It is that 3 or 4 wire large sensor at the cylinder head coolant outlet pipe. I am not home so I can’t get the part number. This sensor runs ~$80 or more. It can also effect the temp gauge operation. This thing can cause all sorts of grief. Carefully check the connections before replacing it. Corrosion and broken wires at the crimps will also cause it to miss read and fail.

Dennis

Check your temp sensor - I believe it is on that fitting.  It sounds like your engine thinks it is always cold and hence is very difficult to start when hot.  Check the sensor and also check the wire to ensure no breaks.

________________________________ From: pdooley <psdooley@VERIZON.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sat, December 26, 2009 3:54:39 PM Subject: Re: Maybe some VC

The hall sender is where I always begin for no-starts. Probably unrelated to you're problem, the ignition switch can act up too. My friend's 92 GTI, same management as your car, wouldn't start after trying for 40 mins. We eventually figured the ign switch was bad. Also, pull the coil wires off, (high and low voltage), check for problems. Make sure the grounding lug on the valve cover is intact and all wires in good shape.  The digi ECU grounds at that location.