Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Dec 2009 15:36:09 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 26 Dec 2009 to 27 Dec 2009 - Special issue
              (#2009-1114)
Comments: To: Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@vickersdesign.com>

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@vickersdesign.com>wrote:

> > Ditto as well on the stupid smog rules in California. The latest > debacle seems to be that the window for the SVX might be closing > because somebody in Sacramento has decided to make the refs enforce > the "manual tranny" rule for the SVX. The car was only produced with > automatics. Doh. > > Jeff > > It's no wonder that California has such big problems. They have literally millions of State-paid petty bureaucrats enforcing all their laws and standards..They pay all those people with state funds and charge everyone else for their salaries. Stuff like those silly engine swap smog rules.. And then they wonder why masses of smarter people are moving out of that state, and their tax base seems to keep shrinking while their bureaucracies seem to keep growing..

Let's all hope that if other US states adopt California air quality standards, they'll do it in a smarter way than the California Air Resources Board, or whatever they call that ridiculous agency down there. Air quality standards should actually take into consideration the Air Quality.... the amount of pollutants that are emitted by a vehicle.. rather than some convoluted set of rules devised by a combo of special interests and career politicians.

I'd guess just about any modern engine of similar displacment should be able to run a little cleaner than a WBX motor and yet so many are 'prohibited' by California's CARB arcane rules..."just because...(no real reason..)

Don Hanson