Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:03:23 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Air-cooled, gas, diesel
Comments: To: Stephen Cebula <sfcebula@YAHOO.COM>

Steve, the best engine that was ever stock in a Vanagon here in the US was the 2.1l engine. It has the most power and is very reliable if well maintained. I have had them go over 250k miles with no major problems. There is a noticeable power increase over the 1.9l engine. If the van came with a 1.9l and the engine was good I wouldn't replace it but the nicest, and most well made Vanagons are the later models (89-91) which also have the power windows, door locks, cruise control, good working AC, sound proofing, etc. I have owned the entire gambit of these vans from diesel, AC, and water cooled and I own and drive daily a 90 Carat and an 89 Wolfsburg (basically the same car with a different name). These are my favorite version of the Vanagon as they can be camped in by two people if the urge strikes, but you also have seating for 7. We have four kids and don't like to tent camp so when we travel we usually drive there in the van and then rent a hotel room or cabin when we get there. We tried camping and traveling with the four kids in our 88 Westy but it was cramped and that was three or four years ago (the kids aren't getting any smaller). I really like the automatic transmission version as well as these seem to get almost as good fuel mileage and while you lose a little bit of power to the automatic it isn't really a problem for me as I accelerate slowly to conserve fuel anyway. I really love the automatic when you get stuck in traffic and have to creep. It kills me to have to ride a clutch for an hour or so in DC traffic.

If you are considering buying a diesel Vanagon I would drive one first as they are scary to drive and this should be enough to scare you away from one. They are so underpowered that they are almost dangerous as you cannot speed up if you miscalculate pulling out somewhere. Also the engines last about 100k miles on average before they blow a headgasket or crack a head or the block. I think this is due to the fact that the engine is working at 110% all the time trying to move this heavy brick shaped object down the road. I get about one call a year from a person who has blown up three of these engines in a row and wants to bring their van to me so that I can install the engine because it must be something wrong with their mechanic but they keep blowing up their diesel engines. I ask them how fast they drive on the highway and if they tell me 65 mph I tell them that this is why. You really have the baby the diesel Vanagon. Don't push it or it will blow up on you. You would think after the second engine the customer would start to suspect that it isn't the mechanic but them, but they usually don't. Not to mention that the hoses and coolant tanks and radiators have been NLA for over 10 years. The 82 is the year you can find the easiest and it is also the one year that is the hardest to get parts for. It was a one year only coolant system which makes it hard to get people interested in making aftermarket versions of the parts. No AC or power steering. The engine actually has a sticker on it that warns not to put AC on the engine.

Air cooled is a good engine but again you have to be very careful to have the cooling system in good repair. Most people think that because the engine is air cooled that means that as long as there is air around the engine, it will be fine. So customers come in with the cooling system totally disabled and wonder why their rings or pistons and cylinders are toast. It is a very simple cooling system, but it needs to be working properly for the engine to live. You can kill a brand new engine in less than a year otherwise. There is less power than the waterboxer, and don't think about power steering or AC as they will put too much of a strain on the engine.

Of course these are my opinion and observations which I have made over the past 11 years. Your mileage may very. Hope this helps.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Stephen Cebula wrote: > While we're on the subject of engine types, what about diesel vs gas powered? Besides the obvious lack of power. Are there any advantages to the stock diesels other than fuel economy, like reliability for example? From what I've heard and experienced, I'm partial to the 1.9 gas, but I'm wondering if I should expand my horizons. > > Thanks, > Steve > > > > >