Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:35:10 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: hauling a GL on a UHaul auto hauler
Comments: To: Jason <uberhare@GMAIL.COM>

The Jeeps of today are nothing compared to the older WideTracs. Mine had a big honkin' V-8 hooked to a Chrysler 727 auto tranny.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Jason wrote: > I've used a Jeep Cherokee V6 a few times to haul a car trailer and didn't > like it. (2001 Golf racecar). I found it swayed a bit much and the Jeep > wasn't quite heavy enough for the load. It had plenty of power and brakes, > just swayed too much in the back end past 50mph. > > Jason > > > On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 4:42 PM, John Rodgers <inua@charter.net> wrote: > > >> Michael Snow wrote: >> >> >>> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Bobby Brown <bobbybrown1@gmail.com> >>> wrote: >>> >>> Fellow listees, >>> >>>> Long story short, I plan to haul my 88 GL on a UHaul autohauler about 250 >>>> miles with a 4.7 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee. >>>> >>>> Anything special I should know in advance for a successful run? >>>> >>>> >>>> >>> I hauled an old Chevy pickup 225 miles (climbing then descending over >>> 4000 feet in 100 degree heat on I-8 east of San Diego) with my 4.7 V8 >>> Toyota Tundra on a U-Haul trailer last spring. The trip was stressful >>> but uneventful. Overdrive off, reduced speed, and shifting down for >>> compression braking on the descent kept my son and I safe and the two >>> trucks undamaged. The tie-down straps that U-Haul provides are strong >>> enough, but there are not enough of them. I would use some extra >>> straps on the front and rear tie-down loops to stabilize the van body. >>> This will help prevent trailer sway from the van rocking on its >>> suspension. If the trailer doesn't track perfectly straight behind >>> your truck, slow down until it doesn't sway. >>> >>> -- >>> Michael Snow >>> 1987 Syncro TiiCo >>> 1982 Westfalia 1.9TD >>> http://slowmachine82.blogspot.com/ >>> >>> >>> >>> I hauled my '88 GL from Clinton, OK to Birmingham, AL on a U-haul auto >>> >> trailer. Had no problem - but there were/are caveats - 1), I was limited >> to 45 mph. Made for a long slow trip. 2) I also rented one of U-hauls >> box-van trucks. I got the minimum size that would pull the trailer. >> Don't remember the weight size, but it wasn't huge. Pulled nicely. I >> had to be careful of the braking - which was long and slow on the >> stopping distances. Other than that, the trailer tracked well, and there >> was no sway. I liked the U-haul trailer and the truck. Both performed well. >> >> Recently, my son and I hauled a '91 Carat about 70 miles using a U-haul >> auto-trailer pulled by a 2009 Chevy Pickup truck with a factory towing >> package. I don't know what the particulars were on the engine, but it >> was an automatic, and the truck was not a 4X4. Had not problems at all. >> The same day - we moved another "88 GL about 15 miles and again had no >> problems. >> >> I don't know about the model Jeep involved here - but in Alaska I had an >> '85 Jeep Wagoneer LTD Widetrac full-time 4X4 with automatic trans and >> manual shift for Hi or Low range. That model Jeep was Heeeaaavy! I never >> pulled an auto trailer with it, but I can say it was hell-for-stout and >> pulled many a vehicle out of the ditch or the snowbank in Alaska, >> including one unfortunate tourist with a 33 foot long motor home. >> >> John Rodgers >> 88 GL Driver >> >> > > >