Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Dec 2009 19:26:35 -0800
From:         Luke Bakken <luke.bakken@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Expansion tank pressure cap - how tight?

Hey everyone, Merry Christmas!

I've had an interesting issue with my coolant system that I think may be due to me not putting the expansion tank pressure cap on tight enough. When checking the expansion tank, the past 8 or so drives I've had to put in about 1 to 2 cups of coolant into the tank before driving, which fills the tank to the top. I then put the pressure cap on and reattach the overflow hose. When I get back home after tooling around, I'll check the overflow tank to see if the level has increased - sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't (hmmm). The expansion tank never has any air in it after a drive, but, once the system cools all the way back down again, there is an air pocket representing about 1 or 2 cups of lost coolant.

Now, I did some major work on the coolant system this summer - I replaced every single hose in the van as well as put in stainless pipes. I have monitored and tightened the clamps as necessary since the overhaul and am (mostly!) confident that there are no leaks in that part of the system. I also replaced the pressure cap about a month ago and still see this behavior. I have not tried the old cap again (yet). The expansion tank itself appears relatively new (white plastic, not yellowed). I'm assuming it was replaced when the engine was converted to a Subaru in '04.

Today I wanted to get to the bottom of this so I drove the van around a bunch to get it up to temperature and then immediately started checking the entire system, starting at the front. Everything looked fine until I got back to the engine compartment and lo and behold I did see that it looked like some coolant had "sprayed" around the expansion tank. I had the engine on and revved the motor while watching in the compartment to see if I could reproduce it while watching but did not see any more leaks! But, I did see trails that appeared to show that the coolant had sprayed somehow from underneath the cap. In addition, coolant did flow into the overfill tank this time.

Since the system was hot I was able to tighten the pressure cap a little more - maybe this will help. What concerns me is that maybe the replacement cap I got isn't working correctly and not allowing the hot coolant to expand into the overfill tank. Or, I'm just not tightening it enough to allow it to build pressure - this would also explain the air bubble after cooling since it would be sucking air from around the threads.

Thanks for reading this far ... any ideas or descriptions of just how tight that cap should be are appreciated. Luke