Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Dec 2009 12:30:57 -0500
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Insurance..... some forethought.

So I'm about to change over to a new insurance policy to get off my parents. We're going with Erie Insurance who's been insuring us for years, but i have some concerns maybe you guys can help settle.

First off, my van is (according to the VIN) a 1985 sunroof vanagon, in "good" shape. This places my bluebook value at something like $1500 or $2000.

Here's where the problem lies..... It's now a full westfalia with a $6000 zetec engine. By my estimates that puts the value that I could sell it at between $6000 and $10,000. Any suggestions for how to convey this to the insurance? They will not do a state value on anything other than a collectors vehicle, and they didn't really like the thought of an appraisal. Should I just ask them to put a note in the file of the fact that it is now a westfalia and powered by BOSTIG? I have plenty of photo evidence for both. Or should I just figure upon the fact that should anything ever happen, i have all this photo evidence and receipts that help make my argument towards its value, but wouldn't it technically be insurance fraud for me to have them insuring a 1985 GL when in reality it's a 1985 Westfalia powered by a big engine? As that's what I plan to collect on if anything ever happened.

Any thoughts? I don't want them to offer me $500 and no chance to buy back after someone else hits me.

-Craig '85GL turned WESTY BOSTIG in back