Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:48:27 -0800
From:         Marc Sayer <marcsayer@HUGHES.NET>
Subject:      Re: Traction? Not very much

I'll second the point about the value of tires. Bottom line is all your traction depends on the tires, 2wd, 4wd, whatever, if the tires aren't good, you won't get traction. We swear by Bridgestone Blizzaks, best damned winter tire I've ever used. Last year I got one of my Isuzu Troopers stuck in my driveway with studded tires, I hooked up my other Trooper, with the Blizzaks and hauled it right out. That was the most impressive example I could imagine. To have a set of studless tires not only get a vehicle through where studded tires couldn't, but to also be able to dead tow the stuck vehicle out, wow.

My 86 Vanagon was a nightmare on our driveway (which isn't steep, BTW just heavily crowned), I couldn't get up it if there was more than an inch of snow, even with so called mud and snow tires. I put a set of Blizzaks on it a few years ago and the only time I have trouble now is when we have more than a foot of snow. The Vanagon will never be as good as my old 64 was, but with the Blizzaks, it does so well I decided not to get the LSD. (then again I do own several real 4wds for the bad times, if I had to depend on my Vanagon in the winter up here, I'd own a Syncro with F&R LSDs and Blizzaks., but then we regularly get 150" or more of snow up here over the winter and often have 3' of snow accumulation much of the winter)

--

Marc Sayer Journalist, Photographer, Dog Trainer (APDT member #062956) Board member - Western States Great Dane Rescue Association Director of Operations & Training - Deaf Dane Rescue Inc. Oakridge, OR USA

My Homepage - http://gracieland.org Deaf Dane Rescue - http://deafdane.org Western States Great Dane Rescue Association - http://wsgdra.org RescueWatchdogs - http://rescuewatchdogs.org Association of Pet Dog Trainers - http://APDT.com