Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:17:01 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: how to change alternator belt?
Comments: To: Alex Madison <alexmadison@GMAIL.COM>

You should start saving money for a major engine repair. The temp gauge sensor relies on coolant being pumped past it to work. No pump = no gauge until you get the heads really hot and steam carries the heat to the sensor. Damage is now beginning. That sound was boiling water and steam and those clicking noises were the head studs stretching under the load. You may get away with for a short while.

You also need to find out why the belt suddenly failed. Major neglect, incorrect tension, or bad alternator/water pump bearings are the usual suspects.

To change the belt you will need to get the other two off the crank pulley. For the power steering belt there is one bolt in a slot and the pivot may need to be loosened. 13 and 17mm wrenches. For the AC there are two 13 mm nuts on the bracket, 8mm Allen sockets top, and the 13 mm nut at the bottom of the bracket. Then there should be a 13mm long tensioning bolt. Loosen it all the way without removing it. The compressor should swing down.

On the alternator there is the obvious top bolt on the slide. You may have the toothed tensioner. You also should have to loosen the pivot at the bottom of the bracket. It is important that the bottom bolt is tightened. Do not leave it loose enough to allow easy future adjustment.

Dennis