Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Dec 2009 17:11:12 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Diagnostics needed 2.1
Comments: To: Jim Cochran <mxsailor@GMAIL.COM>

At 02:50 PM 12/28/2009, Jim Cochran wrote: >idles at 1900 rpm, power when cold, wimpy when warm, dies when hot- I >see a trend here...

Obvious candidate would be open circuit on Temp-II sender circuit. Voltage one side is ground; voltage on other side should be close to the same as T-I sender if engine is at ambient. When engine warms up, T-II voltage IIRC is a few tenths of a volt. If at any time voltage is either zero or +5v then you have an open in the ECU or ground line, or an open T-II sender.

>water level sensor blinking constantly

Not related. Unplug the 42/43 "relay" from the panel -- if it blinks after that it's a gauge problem, leaky 10uf/16v cap inside the gauge.

>would it make a difference if the wires from temp sensor at thermostat >were reversed? I had pulled them off the sensor when first removing >it. I believe this is just a variable resistor, right?

Both the gauge sender and the Temp-II sender are non-polarized thermistors -- high resistance cold, low resistance hot. Look for problems at the terminals.

Yrs, David