Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Dec 2009 08:20:28 -0800
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: question regarding front heater switch and knob,
              1990 Vanagon GL
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Something I have done recently is replace the 2 speed front heater resistor with a 3 speed one from the rear a/c. This allows a 4 speed switch to be used on the front heater, with 3 speeds going through the new resistor. High speed bypasses the resistor in any case.

old speed 1 ~ resistor low speed 2 ~ resistor high speed 3 ~ direct to fan

new speed 1 ~ resistor lower speed 2 ~ resistor med speed 3 ~ resistor higher speed 4 ~ direct to fan

This was done to replace a burned out heater resistor NLA, with a more easily found a/c resistor. Could have wired up with 3 speed switch feeding the 3 speed resistor, leaving out the direct connection for speed 4 but the owner wanted all 4 and we had the switch. Time will tell if the new speed selections are ok. We also used a a/c fan to replace the bad heater fan. Same part other than slight wiring mod.

Mark

Dennis Haynes wrote: > Sure sign the blower motor is about to seize of otherwise fail. Fuses should > never just be replaced without the cause being determined and corrected. > Also, as I have written in the past there is no real reason or benefit to > operate the dash heater fan on that high speed. The interior will warm > faster along with the windshield defrosting with the fan on speed 2. Once > moving on the highway turn it off to save it. > > Dennis > > > At 07:43 PM 12/27/2009, David Cohen wrote: >> The switch keeps sticking in the >> third position. Where do you recommend I buy a switch from? > >