Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Jan 2010 10:42:42 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 Compression?
Comments: To: Stephen Cebula <sfcebula@YAHOO.COM>

What you really want is a leak down and oil pressure test, (hot engine). You also want to have the coolant tested for hydrocarbons and how old is the transmission? Check the crankshaft for excessive end play. The 1.9 can trash the thrust bearing just like older beetle motors. Look carefully for recent repairs and ask for a list. This is a bad mileage to acquire a vehicle as many parts and systems will go this far but not much further. All vehicles for sale have one thing in common, they are no longer wanted by their current owners. You need to find out why? At this mileage if it has not been done you will need to deal with it at some time in the future. This purchase price can be considered as just the down payment depending on your expectations and needs. Also consider the '84 is less desirable than the later models.

Cooling system, pipes, hoses, heater cores and radiator. Dash fan. Brakes, calipers/cylinders/hoses. Suspension/ball joints/tie rods/rack/front radius rod mounts.

Being an 84 it may not have power steering. AC at best sucks. Has the earlier small pad/thin rotor front brakes.

Dennis