Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:13:15 -0700
From:         Don Spence <dkspence@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: No heat at stoplights.
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

Think about it. The engine is way in the back, the heater is way in the front. The transfer tubes from rear to front are exposed to the elements and share their captive heat with the radiator. (which transfers heat to the external air mass.) So, the heater core is disadvantaged from the beginning.

The heater has a fan blowing cold air across the heater core (assuming you are set to outside air and not recirculating inside cabin air which would slightly lessen the situation).

At idle the water pump is providing minimum flow hence minimum hot water available for heat transfer in the heater core. Now add a "tired" pump with worn or eroded vanes and you get even less flow and less heat to transfer. If the fluid is barely moving through the core the latter will quickly cool and blow cold. Pick up the revs and you do two things. Add more fuel to the fire (gasoline) and pump hot fluid faster and in greater volume. Voila, Heat.

It's very common. My 3.3 L chrysler V6 van blows cool at idle (172,000 kms) as does my Mazda 2.2 turbo (282,000 kms) when it's below -20 C. ( Which it is today)