Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jan 2010 11:18:45 -0800
From:         Craig Morton <rangermorton1972@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: heading through the deep south soon, anyone on my route?

And another state park with interesting paddling that might be along the route is Caddo Lake State Park on the TX/LA line: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/caddo_lake/   It's definitely not what you would expect to find in Texas.   Craig

From: Mike South <msouth@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: heading through the deep south soon, anyone on my route? To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Date: Wednesday, January 6, 2010, 1:04 PM

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Joy Hecht <jhecht@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Deep south, for me = Alabama & Mississippi.  Maybe Georgia? >

Speaking of Georgia, not sure if you'll be this far east, and I don't remember what it was like in winter, but we used to rent canoes and paddle around in the Okefenokee swamp.  There was a very low-key state park we would drive to from Valdosta, Ga (entering on the west side of the swamp). I've never been anywhere like that before or since--you can paddle right up to the gators (not that I'm advising you to) completely unsupervised and basically silent.  I don't know if the gators will be out during the winter, but paddling in the black water among those trees would still be worth a significant detour in my opinion.

mike