Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:26:25 -0800
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: heading through the deep south soon, anyone on my route?

Florida...one of the best experiences of my life was swimming with the manatees in Crystal River, Florida.  Costs $50 for guide, boat, snorkel equipment, wetsuit.  Excellent.  Usually groups of about 12 in a pontoon boat.  Many places to book tours the day before in Crystal River...I went to "Birds".  Just check the internet.  About a 4 hour experience.  They put in the water at dawn...water is super clear.  Manatees like you to rub their underarms and bellies.  The best time is NOW...winter...when the ocean is cold they move inland into the freshwater springs, so that's where the pontoon boats go.  Prime season is November to February.  Do it..you won't regret.  Vanagon camping (required vanagon content) is nearby, or a cheap local mom and pop motel like I did because it was only late October and still a little warmish and humid, but we still had lots of manatees.

Rich San Diego