Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jan 2010 05:47:39 -0500
From:         Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: tires wheels and accidents
Comments: To: Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@gmail.com>

Roger,

Great synopsis. I second your opinion of Michelin Hydroedge tires from personal experience.

Glad you and yours are alive.

2010/1/6, Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@gmail.com>: > dear tire / wheel vendors and tire / wheel buyers > > different tires are required for different situations ... > all seasons are ok for random driving light vehicle on clean roads > > studded snow tires for heavy snow combined with freezing > > i live in a temperate rain forest of the pacific north west ... > wet water covered roads are my chief concern 12 months of the year > moreover wet roads that are also oil slicked from the hot pavement ... > i have found the hydro edge to be the hands down winner in proving to be > stable and suitable for the roads i am on the majority of the time ... > i have also driven these tires across the oregon dalles in a snow storm and > had no requirement for chains > > was our incident made worse by a tire failure ... > i would suggest not ... > my regular work is that of a safety manager and i regularly investigate > incidents .. including MVA > i write reports about incidents and in this particular case of my own i had > the opportunity to return to the incident site and take pictures > > there are some important facts the site reveals ... > > 1. four distinct sideways skid marks on the pavement ... made by all four of > my fully inflated tires in a sideways drift > .... these marks run across the tarmac from where the likely patch of ice > stopped existing then onto the dirt shoulder ... > > 2. the van slid down the built up road bank for about twenty feet before it > rolled ... > > 3. although i have not had the opportunity to actually unfold he deflated > rear tire and look inside of it ... > ... i did not feel any distortion or poor tire performance prior to the > incident (and yes i recall the firestone 721 fiasco of the late 70's ) ... > and i have had blow outs before at highway speed ... both with a known > faulty tire and as a surprise ... ... > no symptoms of tire or wheel failure appeared evident at the time of the > incident > > 4. our van rolled twice ... a complete revolution twice after sliding down > the embankment from a 65 MPH start leading with the starboard side > ... there are clear marks in the dirt where the wheels dug in to tip us ... > > > 5. the front left wheel broke away form the machine in such a way that the > bearings were still seated inside the hub of the wheel .. > i have photos of the wheel inside ... this means the axle shaft (spindle) > broke ... serious impact indeed ... > > 6. with out the test facility and the vanagons to try it out on .. i have no > way to know other than competing apocryphal statements about failure ... > but i do know that a cast product ... is subject to failure when placed in > extreme single point impact stress ... > maybe some of the vendors want to call up myth busters and supply them with > the tires / wheels and vans to try the various ideas about failure out ... > > ... and lastly as i stated to lucas of go westy in a phone conversation ... > i have no reason to believe that the wheels supplied by them contributed in > anyway to what happened to our westy > moreover i have tried the hydro edge tires out in a variety of conditions at > low speeds to see how the van and myself would react > ... i have always found the tire performed very well and the van went where > i wanted it to go ... > > and i might add that during the incident ... my first thought was ... do not > look at the emergency vehicle on the left side of the road ... or you will > head toward it .... > i looked far up the road ... tried to steer into the skid ... had no control > at all ... was soon facing west when i had been previously facing east ... > i had lost frictional contact with the earth ... black ice ... YET i was > able to gain enough control to go off the right side of the road and avoid > collision with the emergency vehicle ... > through conversations with a Transport Canada Officer in discussion about > this very incident he agreed that looking where i wanted my vehicle to go > played an important part in making my vehicle go away from the emergency > vehicle > > more details about our incident ... > i was avoiding the semi and emergency vehicle off the road to the left ... > conversation with the semi driver later .. i learned he was off the road due > to trying to avoid hitting a car out of control in front of him ... a car > that continued on safely with out even knowing what was in its wake ... > while they were loading my wife into the ambulance another vehicle lost > control and nearly hit the police car ( i believe the hand of god stopped it > from nailing the police car ... which would have then also struck my wife > on the stretcher) (every one else had fled the area when they heard the > other vehicle sliding around ) ... > conversation with the trooper after at the hospital .. he related that we > were one of four incidents that night ... > i reminded him of the one that nearly hit his car and he said oh yes five... > add to that the fellow who caused the semi to go off the road ... makes 6 > known ... > conversation with the tow truck recovery people /... that stretch of road > keeps them very busy ... > > so unless the insurance co discovers something different from what the > evidence appears to relate ... > > it is my conclusion that while traveling in an easterly direction at 65 MPH > on I 80 (in a 75MPH zone) at about 6 pm on december 14 while in an effort to > change lanes to avoid an emergency vehicle on the left side of the road i > came in contact with so called black ice and lost my ability to utilize > friction to maintain control of the vehicle ... resulting in the vehicle > leaving the road and rolling twice and coming to rest on its left side atop > the wild life fence which is some 100 feet from the tarmac .. > > Tin can broken ... sardines good ... > yours > > > -- > roger w > From Proverbs: > Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a > servant who becomes king ... > ---------------------------------------------------------- > Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ > View the growing list of video work at: > http://revver.com/find/video/?query=LastonLastof&search_on=owners > and ... older work at > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7135104650374818257 > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3259745150182742364 >

-- Chris S. Disclaimer: "Death and serious injury may occur"