Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Jan 2010 10:47:44 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <goose1047@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: My T3 website on PhotoBucket: V8 Bay disaster

> As has been mentioned.... I find picasaweb works great. > > Neat cradle for the Suby. Interesting to see the through bolt design. > > V8 Bay?  Wow!

It should've been great. Instead it was a disaster, because the guy who did it turned out to be a cowboy (who was recommended to me to do the job by the locally-well-known VW "guru").

He "rebuilt" the 4V engine (which is an 3.4 all-aluminum hemi (the first hemi V8?) pushrod design from the late-70s-early-80s Toyota Century, later increased to 4.0 and labelled 5V. Carbureted 4Vs were apparently about 174hp; injected ones quite a bit more. Mine was carbed) and told me not to worry about the noisy lifter as it'd bed-in, and not to worry about it if a bit of steam came from the bullbar-mounted Valiant radiator, as there was no catchtank and it would blow off from the cap area. He couldn't get the advance-retard to work (said it "worked backward") and there was no transition between idle and go... it was either stall or rev & drop the clutch. Slipping the clutch wouldn't work. So the 1.8 trans didn't last long enough to get the Albins Elephant-geared 091 (another cowboy story, but another cowboy) done in time to save the original trans.

So... about the first drive it began to blow steam onto the windshield. I carried on, but it became really serious and when I had to turn the wipers on it was obvious that something was wrong. Stopping, I found that the pipe into the radiator was a piece of shiny chromed vacuumcleaner pipe... slippery as and unswaged, and of course it had come unclamped! How many times had it done this while Willie Gardner had it in his hands? Reclamped it and the ancient radiator blew its top tank. Had a big 3-row radiator made for it, cost a bunch, and the noisy valve never quietened, which was worrying. It began to burn oil... probably cooked before I even got it back from Willie!

Took it to a mechanic with a good reputation, got him to come as a witness to Small Claims Tribunal, where Steve told the adjudicator that everything Willie was saying was a lie, and won. Willie was supposed to fix everything within a short time, but a year later still had the van.. sitting in a gravel lot with the manifold-gasket off and the engine open to windblown dust, as it had been sitting obviously for a long time. He didn't rebuild it but had to replace the cam, as the lobes had been worn almost right off. Took him back to the Tribunal, this time without Steve, and got the same adjudicator, who professed not to remember the previous hearing and who admitted to not taking any notes. I "won" again, but only got $1300, which would cover the stereo and 4-barrel Holley stolen while the van was back at Willie's "Boats & Buggies" business. Meantime the van had developed galloping rust in areas it had no rust before I first took it to Willie (did he spray acid or salt into the seams?).

I pulled the engine and sold it as a rebuilder. The trans I sold at a huge loss and the van was sold without either. This was over 10 years ago, and at least the van's back on the road somewhere now.

Moral of story: do NOT trust recommendations as to who is a good mechanic, or any other mechanical "advice" (another disaster I had, on recommendation by mechanics, was a diesel Skyline).

-- Regards Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator Mollusc, Toyota & VW van fan