Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jan 2010 17:27:53 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help determining VW single cab value
Comments: To: Andrew Martin <campahvan@EARTHLINK.NET>

Single cabs are hard to put a value on because they are mostly trashed by the folks that drive them in Europe - mostly carpenters, plumbers, etc.

I saw a fairly nice on for sale up in Port Townsend earlier this summer. It was parked outside the Wooden Boat Shop, or perhaps next door, and had a sticker on it asking for, IIRC, $7500 or so. It was about as you described yours; pretty straight with relatively rough paint.

HTH,

Karl Wolz

\

My vehicle is a 1985 Transporter single cab with a factory installed 1.6L TD engine and 5 speed manual transmission. The body is in incredibly good condition but the paint is a bit faded and worn in places. The only real rust is minor seam rust behind the rear wheels, a small dot below the fuel fill port and the lower gussets on the passenger side treasure chest door frame. The engine head and IP were both rebuilt just before I purchased it and in the last 4 years I’ve restored/rebuilt/replaced all the mechanical systems including a new turbocharger, new intermediate, crank shaft and rod bearings. It runs and a drives like a new vehicle and it’s been my very dependable daily driver. In October I drove it from the Seattle area to the Van Café in Santa Cruz and back effortlessly and worry free.

My insurance company has responded to my claim in a way that was very predictable but completely unacceptable. Even though I refused their ridiculous offer, the insurance company is still willing to consider any documentation I can provide as to the actual value of my vehicle.

I am considering having it professional appraised but if any other single or double cab owners are willing to share the “documented” value of their vehicles, it would be very much appreciated at this time. Links to similar vehicles for sale would also be appreciated.

I’ve read many of the insurance threads in the various VW forums and I will continue to educate myself regarding the best ways to proceed.

I will be glad to share the end result when the matter has been settled but for now please reply by p-mail as I really don’t want to start another insurance thread.

Thanks,

Andrew

Bainbridge Island WA

ramblinvan@earthlink.net