Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Jan 2010 14:17:52 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bug Formance is going out of biz huge sale vw stuff
Comments: To: Doug Noganav <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>

Thanks for the link Doug. I'll check it out.

but no,..........vanagons are going to be fading out any time soon. Driving as we know it will be out of fashion, or illegal, before the viability of vanagons fades out.

Vanagons are amazingly adaptable and endlessly versatile. They are way, way to good to ever not be viable. As long as our current driving environment allows them.

And 'so far' anything that has been legal in the past, has remained legal to drive, pretty much. I believe you can legally drive a totally polluting Model T Ford ( not that vanagons are 'polluting' so much ) .....and as long as you can maintain legal minimum speeds, it's a legal vehicle, even without seatbelts. So ........as long as 'they' don't really lower the boom and flat outlaw cars that are say, pre 1995, we'll be all right for a long time yet. I'm not too worried about parts either. ( friend of mine just told me about a modern Ford car's front heater core that fits in the front of a vanagon, from a FLAPS, that only costs under 50 bucks ) and .......with engine conversions to more modern less polluting engines, plus transmission rebuilders , plus all that comes out of Europe .... the scope of what's possible in vanagons is HUGE , and will be for quite a while I suspect.

Of maybe 60 vanagons I have ever bought, I have sent exact ONE to the crusher - an old air-cooled one, when I was moving a couple of states. Otherwise, every one I have ever gotten, I fixed up and sold, or still have as a project van to yet fix up and sell ( about 7 of those currently ) or I still have them for parts. I hate to see any vanagon stripped for parts and crushed, unless it's a total rust bucket, or totally crashed beyond repair. They really are a fantastic 'do anything' vehicle. I figured out what they are ......the are a 'Sporty, not-quite-a-truck Van.' The handle well, are great fun to drive, and they haul a lot of stuff, and you can camp and live in them, what's not to like !!? and given the vast support network .........all of North American, all of Europe,. and Brazilian and Mexican VW parts and production .....even South Africa. there's no end in sight yet, not even slightly. 'Goverments' are about the worst danger. And traditionally ..... governments have allowed people to keep driving their older rigs, pretty much. In many places, once it gets past a certain age, no more smog checks, which is very handy for us. Parts............ not worried about those much at all ! And I save every decent vanagon I can, that's what I do, make vanagons very healthy again, , and pass them along to appreciative buyers, plus service, parts, engine conversions etc. Indeed, long live Vanagons !

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Noganav" <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2010 1:17 PM Subject: Bug Formance is going out of biz huge sale vw stuff

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/1544445552.html

Looks like he may have some "bus" stuff and lots of air cooled stuff, but its an everything goes sale.

Sad, to see this kind of thing happening.

Could this be the future for our beloved vanagons someday not too far off?

Save the vanagons !

Doug