Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Jan 2010 06:14:30 -0800
From:         Richard Duvernay <richard.duvernay@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Replacing Propane Regulator Advice?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

After removing the shield and the old regulator and installing the new I first tried to connect back the original copper pipes with the flared fitting on the ends.  It was nowhere close to a fit.   There seemed to be no way to attach the copper pipes first, then the regulator to the tank, so I was left with no choice but to manipulate and/or cut the end of the pipe.  I don't know which I tried first, but in the end botched it up and broke the pipes.  That left me with the only option of splicing new pipe in.  I used a flaring tool and flare fitting for the pipe ends going into the regulator and compression fittings for an elbow and attaching again to the original pipes a couple inches below where they come through the floorboard.  See pic.   It sounds like I may have been misguided at worst or at least under informed at several different hardware stores (which doesn't surprise me).  If this is a big no-no, I suppose my only other option would be to take out the cabinets and replace the pipes from start to finish, which I thought about to make a cleaner fit.   I'm getting less enamored with my fridge every camping trip (about ready to convert it to storage) and I carry a cooler anyway so I really don't need to run propane while rolling. Should I take this apart and start over?  Thanks.  Rick D. http://picasaweb.google.com/RDUVEYAlbum/RegulatorInstall# ________________________________ From: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> To: Richard Duvernay <richard.duvernay@SBCGLOBAL.NET>; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sat, January 9, 2010 9:38:33 PM Subject: RE: Replacing Propane Regulator Advice? You didn’t say you used compression fittings on propane did you? Yes there are some special compression or push lock type fitting listed for this service but typical copper compression fittings are a no-no. The original used flare for a reason. Dennis -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Richard Duvernay Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2010 8:34 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Replacing Propane Regulator Advice? Madeline -   I did this project last summer.  Since the replacement regulater is longer than the original, it requires some modifications to the two supply lines to the fridge and stove.  I knew that and was prepared.  I bought a pipe bender, flaring tool, some compression fittings and pipe at the local hardware store.  It's not easy.   I did not take the tank off.  Maybe that would have made it easier.  After messing up on numerous attempts to  to get the correct length and correct angle of bend on both pipes, I gave up and went to Plan B and bought a couple of 90 degree compression fittings to make right angles.  I finally got that to work after more trial and error.  Course....I got no skills.   Good luck !  Rick D.     ________________________________ From: Madeline <mac10wv@YAHOO.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sat, January 9, 2010 12:30:18 PM Subject: Replacing Propane Regulator Advice? We have the new replacement regulator, now need to get to work and install it.  Anyone have advice on the best way to do it?  Looks like we'll have to remove the tank to do it? Madeline Milko III