Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:23:13 -0500
From:         Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: No heat at stoplights.
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott3@gmail.com>

My 87 Jetta GLI had what seemed like an instant furnace for a heater, as did my 81 Cabriolet and my buddy's 96 Jetta. No complaints from his wife in the 03 Passat either. Maybe some cable adjustment would help? My 01 TDI takes forever to produce heat, but as I mentioned it's toasty once going even in the Michigan winter. But it could be just my view. Perhaps TDIclub forums can offer us some further insight.

2010/1/10, Edward Maglott <emaglott3@gmail.com>: > I sure don't experience that on my 02 TDI Golf. Even on interstate > driving, 20 minutes after temp gauge has been sitting at 190, I am > still running the fan on 2, temp set all the way hot and on recirc to > stay warm. (Outside temps around 32.) Actually, I think my temp > knob has been on full hot since early November. I find that the both > the temperature of the air and the amount of air is limited compared > to my van. Once up to temp, the vanagon heat lever rarely is at full > hot, even with outside temps in the 20s. My 85 GTi and A1 series > cars acted the same. Maybe there is some designed in restriction in > the heater on the TDI to prevent drivers from sucking too much heat > out of the engine? > Edward > > At 02:49 PM 1/8/2010, Chris S wrote: >>Correction. The heaters are not terrible in a TDI. The TDI engine is a >>terrible heater. Once engine is fully warmed the heaters will melt >>polyester argyle socks around your ankles. Try blocking part of your >>radiator for faster warm up. >> >>2010/1/7, Edward Maglott <emaglott3@gmail.com>: >> > True, my 02 Golf TDI heater is terrible. I thought it was just >> > because it was a diesel and doesn't produce as much waste heat. (It >> > has electric heaters in the coolant to help it get warmed up faster, >> > for example.) It's been about 15-20 degrees F on my morning commute >> > lately. About 5 miles into my route, more than 4 of that on >> > Interstate, I coast for about a mile. With the heater set on recirc >> > and fan on 3, the temp gauge will drop from "normal" to the next >> > lowest mark during that coast. This makes me think the engine really >> > isn't producing that much heat. My '86 vanagon makes impressive >> > heat and pretty fast. Winter stealth camping wake up routine >> > involves turning front heater off and idling engine until rear heater >> > starts putting out heat. Man that thing gets going in about 5 >> > minutes and pretty soon is putting out serious BTUs. I usually can >> > warm up the inside enough to shut the engine off and be warm enough >> > to change clothes and get some hot water going for coffee or tea in >> > relative comfort. >> > Edward > > >

-- Chris S. Disclaimer: "Death and serious injury may occur"