Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Jan 2010 13:09:34 -0800
Subject:      UPDATE #1: Vanagon auxiliary fuel tank build
Comments: To: TDI-conversion@yahoogroups.com, Syncro@yahoogroups.com

The mailing that I sent out earlier asking for who wants what came in overwhelmingly that almost nobody wanted a tank that would have the ability to heat the fuel... so... done.  No longer an option.

A few people said that they wanted two tanks &ndash; so a multisided fit was in order, so that makes the tank slightly smaller than my original design.  The square tank design that I have now is simpler to cut materials for and to manufacture, so it will cost less in the end which is a good thing.

The tank design that I have as of now is 60.7L (16 gallons) capacity, so for the Diesel people at 10L per 100km would give an additional 600km of range.  Gasoline vans do about 14L per 100km so about 420km additional range, for people south of the border that's 370 and 260 miles respectively.  No so bad I guess &ndash; I could drive my TriStar from Quesnel BC to Seattle WA on one fill up.  The tank will stick down 10cm / 4&rdquo; down from the lower section of the frame.  That makes the Syncro's drive shaft protection still the lowest point by approximately 3cm / 1&rdquo;

Most people also said that they wanted to do a transfer pump system.  So, now I am at a loss to the absolute best way of doing that.  What transfers into what?  How do you fill the auxiliary tank in a reasonable amount of time?

The only decent way I can see it to keep it simple and to keep the costs down is to have a fuel tank valve and a high flow, low pressure fuel pump and set it up the same way Herman did on his excellent Syncro project.  Here is the direct link to his diagram - http://picasaweb.google.com/itzdshtz/VanagonSyncroProject02#5346690182551978322 - His diagram shows a two aux tank setup but would work equally well with one.  My only concern with the two auxiliary tank setup like his is once they are down to their last little bit of fuel, the chances of both running out of fuel at the exact same time will be quite low.  So with an engine sucking on a pipe that has a Y into two tanks, one side of the Y may have air when the other side still has fuel and then air will get into the system &ndash; not so good for a Diesel engine.  I think the solution to the two aux tank system would be to look at it like the auxiliary tank the fuel pump transfers the fuel into is the only tank that the engine draws from when you are in auxiliary tank mode.  The other tank can be looked at is if it was an &ldquo;auxiliary auxiliary&rdquo; tank and should be setup to gravity feed the main auxiliary tank.  This is less than an elegant solution and reminds me too much of my BMW R1100 GS tank &ndash; 25L in size, but you can only use 22L as the remaining 3L are always stuck on the other tank lobe... and a whole different discussion on another mailing list!

The other issue I have with the transfer pump idea is fulling the auxiliary tank(s).  A Vanagon electric fuel pump does about 2L a minute?  So it will take 30 minutes to transfer the fuel from one tank to the other... that's not fast enough &ndash; I want to be able to fill both tanks at the filling station at the same time!  The issue with pushing fuel faster than this is because the Vanagon tank is 70L and the aux tank is 60L there is a chance of FILLING the aux tank to 100%, so you would have to be a line going back to the main tank to act as an overflow &ndash; to keep that safe, it would have to be able to exceed the flow rate of the pump pushing the fuel into the auxiliary tank and we're limited to the flow rate of 8mm fuel line or put this line into the main tank vent that goes into the fuel filler neck.

In order to use both tanks as a supply to the engine, it would make sense to install a fuel level sender in the aux tank and connect it to a fuel gauge of some sort.

So, please, I would like to hear some ideas about fuel transfer pumps and peoples experiences with them.  If we're going to build some aux tanks, I wanna to do right the first time!

David Marshall VW Adventure Driver and BMW Adventure Rider

HasenWerk http://www.hasenwerk.ca