Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Jan 2010 20:38:45 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Head lights
Comments: To: Mark A Kippert <vanagon@KIPPERT.COM>

Let's think this battery thing through. Key on, engine off, turn on all the electrical consumers. Lights, fans, AC, stereo, etc. Now how long do you think the battery will last like this. BTW this is where that reserve capacity rating comes in. How long can the battery support a 25 amp/hour load.

In a few minutes you will see the lights start dimming, wipers and fans slowing down etc. It soon becomes obvious the battery is not our main power source while driving. In fact as the alternator voltage goes above the battery voltage the battery becomes another parasitic load.

Now, if we were install a 100 amp branch circuit in a house we would probably use 2 gauge wire for that circuit. Can someone find even a 6 gauge wire path from the alternator to the front of the van? Those 2 #10's from the alternator to the battery cable and then from the battery to the fuse box or fan high speed relay just don't cut it. Now consider the copper and crimp connections are 20 plus years old and all tarnished, add few more harnesses, fuses, switches and somehow you get 11.5 volts to headlights and lousy battery charging to boot.

Dennis