Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Jan 2010 20:08:43 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fw: Alternator Repairs
Comments: To: Arkady Mirvis <arkadymirvis@gmail.com>

First, Beck/Arnley replacement parts and their program is among the highest price-wise in North America and this is based on my experience as a "parts guy" going back 35 years. Before I went out on my own in 1982, I put my hours in working a parts counter at a few FLAPS and in everyone of them they carried Beck/Arnley - BUT - only items that jusy weren't available ANYWHERE except the dealer, just because (even then), they're pricing structure was the most expensive. Now that a lot of independent FLAPS have gone the way of the Dodo Bird, we're left with the NAPA's, Pep Boys, Autozones, Advance Auto, Kragens, Checkers, O-Reilly's, etc. The franchises carry Beck/Arnley because their program easily matches the "Domestic" style of cataloging, price matrixes so well because they aren't set up to buy from independent Warehouse/Importers like WorldPac, IMC, IAP, EMPI, etc., where they *could* get better pricing and pass it along. And if they do buy from them, they're only allowed to a certain $$ limit & only if Beck/Arnley is out of the product. I only frequent their establishments when I HAVE to.

This why List Vendors like Bus Depot, Van Cafe, CIP1, Airhead/VWG, Wolfsburg West and many others in our biz ignore outfits like Beck/Arnley - we just don't buy from them, 'cause we couldn't sell the product at there suggested prices (and pay their outlandish costs). I'm glad to see that this Advance Auto (and I'm sure many others) offer this kind of professional service to the DIYer, but it's not the company's store's fault in regard to pricing - they're led by corporate bean counters as to what to charge for their products and there is so many cost increase levels of importing, warehousing, truck shipments, stocking at the store that most List Vendors don't have to contend with. BTDT.

I've done the same this as John did with my alternator, changed out the brush assembly, dressed up the slip rings (John calls them "commutators", an old generator term). It was refreshing to hear John's experience. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen often. -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" Full Timing Since March 1999 oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:58 AM, Arkady Mirvis <arkadymirvis@gmail.com>wrote: