Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:37:35 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Quick intro and a question
Comments: To: cevin <hscw217@YAHOO.COM>

Welcome back to the Tribe. I'm sure you will get a flood of responses recommending the Bentley Manual for Vanagons. It's basically essential to own, if you are going to do any work on it yourself at all.

I 'think' the earlier one you get, the more information for early vanagons it will contain. - that may be true. The commonly available Bentley covers all versions of US model vanagons, from 1980 to 1991, air-cooled, water-cooled gasoline, and diesel, and Campers and Syncro. You don't need all that of course, so an earlier Bentley might even be better for you.

and I have a used one for sale, one that covers 1980 to 85. I'll make anyone a fair deal on it. I'm in Oregon too, southern Oregon.

if your engine has hydraulic lifters, yes, regular valve adjustments are not required. They push rod screws are adjustable when you have hydraulic lifters. They should never need 're-adjusting' if things are working correctly. There is an initial adjustment on them though, like for new lifters, or after major engine work etc. - covered in the Bentley manual of course ! There are 'tricks' regarding hyd. lifters, like adding a cleaner additive to the oil if they get clattery. And doing things like starting up the van to move it 50 feet, and shutting it off after only one minute of running - do that a few times, and it can make the hyd. lifters clattery for a while. I much prefer hydraulic lifters over solid lifters ( though the shim system for adjusting valve clearances, like on diesel engines ....that system works really well, seldom needing adjusting ) .........hydraulic valve lifters are a little more gentle on the valves than solid lifters, so say some machinists. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "cevin" <hscw217@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:37 AM Subject: Quick intro and a question