Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:00:56 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Motor Oil (Synthetic)
Comments: To: Angus Gordon <birdworks@gmail.com>

I did not quote "Car Talk" as an "authority. I mentioned the web page as a place I looked for a link or other way of locating the CR report I had mentioned. I specifically made the point that a lot of what I found there amounted to comments from forum participants who had various recall as to what the CR report said. If you quote me, quote enough to contain the meaning of my statement, not an abbreviated portion to try to make my statement say what you want to criticize.

I did state what the "Car Talk" hosts recommend regarding oil change frequency. That is not quoting them as authorities, but simply stating what their recommendation is.

I do read and consider what Dennis and other participants here say. That said, I also have enough experience with using oils and maintaining my vehicles (every one driven around 200K or more miles by me, before being passed on to another user) that I think I can judge whether to change to exorbitantly priced, hyped product or not, and whether to alter the oil change frequency I adhere to.

I'm going out to change the oil in my Honda, as six months has elapsed, and it hasn't acrued 3000 miles yet. It is my wife's commuting and around town car, and though it has 192K miles, I doubt we'll get rid of it any time soon.

So far as I am concerned, this thread has run too long. The same content (except the lame attempt on my part to dredge up the old CR report) has run ad infinitum ad nauseum in the archives.

BTW, the hosts of the Car Talk show, though the show has degenerated in recent years as fewer people seem to have an interest in maintaining their own vehicles, are engineers and mechanics who have operated their own shop for many years in Boston.

David McNeely