Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:27:50 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Was Motor Oil (Synthetic), now Ail Filters
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>

I remember the oil bath filters. At least one manufacturer stuck with them until the late fifties. My mother had a Rambler Classic, and it was my job to perform such minor maintenance as oil changes, filter changes on her prize car. It also had a canister type oil filter, which was a can that could be opened, and the filter inside removed, dripping with oil. So, both of those filters were messy jobs to change. I remember that I cleaned the air filter compartment (which was a circular canister on top of the carburetor) with gasoline. Since that was my only experience with vehicle maintenance, I was surprised when I learned that a friend's Pontiac did not require oil for the air filter.

David