Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:44:24 -0800
From:         Roland <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: another youtube video of a vanagon westy on fire

"Does LP in an RV tank ever cause the tank to explode when tank exposed to extreme heat for a period of time?"

It probably depends on the failure mode: - there is no oxygen inside the tank, so technically it cannot explode from the inside. - need help on this one, of course the pressure inside the tank would get higher, simply because the propane that is in gaseous form would get hotter, and thus increase in the internal pressure. But I doubt that would be enough of a pressure increase to "explode" the metal tank. - perhaps the metal could get hot enough so that a seam will fail. That could cause a quick release of the fluid which would appear like an explosion. - perhaps a rubber seal, or plastic, in the neck and valve would get soft, or melt, and then release propane, but it seem that would result in something more like a jet or blow torch rather than an explosion. - if the main tank valve is open, and only the stove valves are blocking the flow, the failure modes increase dramatically. - if the tank is rusty, then could get very bad. - don't know much about the overpressure release valves, maybe they have non-metallic parts, maybe they are meant to fail in a fire?

The popping in the video was interesting, almost like the propane was dripping out of the tank, or a little bit at a time was released.

Roland