Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Jan 2010 16:33:18 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: fryday: SCAM??  (NVC)
Comments: To: levi hawkins <b1levi@YAHOO.COM>

a far simpler method is to just 'smell' a scam in the first place.

The text of the mesage follows common scam tactics. Doesn't take a lot of brains to see this is likely a scam.

There's article in today's paper about 'shopping survey' scams - a comany purports to pay you to shop at Wallmart or wherever, then report back on your experience. They send you money orders to go shopping with, which you cash. Then once you have an OK expereince, they change things a little and get you to do it again. I forget the precise details of how it works, but a local couple got scammed out of $ 3,200 this way.

you know what they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. We talked about another 'can you tow' or 'can you store' a car scam on here about 6 months ago. That no-risk-to-you thing, if you don't like it, we'll pay you back, or whatever it was.

there is just NO reason that an honest person will contact strangers out of the blue with deals that come out in favor of the scamee. These scam emails always seem to have the same rythym or flavor too. There's a big 'formula board' in Nigeria ..... Similar to the the how-to-write a country song list ......you just plug in various words here and there to fit the formula.

There are minor variations on the same theme, but it's the same general scam deal over and over. Dateline or 60 minutes, one of those, Dateline I think, actually went Nigeria to confront the scammers . ...individuals connected to specific scam attempts. I don't think those guys are in jail today either. the delete key is so easy to use !

frydae, frydae.

----- Original Message ----- From: "levi hawkins" <b1levi@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 2:59 PM Subject: Re: fryday: SCAM?? (NVC)

Run a trace on his e-mail to get the e-mail origin, and check the phone #, see if they match up to the same location.