Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jan 2010 00:53:48 -0500
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant flush?
Comments: To: Stephen Cebula <sfcebula@yahoo.com>

The PVC bong known as the "Libby Bong" is for filling it. Two of my favorite ways to remove the coolant are to use the shop vac method, or to just take a few hoses off. Usually if you take one of the hoses off in the engine bay where they attach to the coolant pipes leading to the front of the van, you'll get quite a bit of coolant out. You can then take an air compressor and using your hand to make a seal, pump some air into the system which will pump out coolant. Just make sure you don't let the pressure build too much. Sadly, due to the way the thermostat works, you won't get all of your coolant out this way as there is a pocket on the other side of the thermostat. If you just pull the ends of any 3 random large hoses in the engine bay, maybe with the front of the van raised a bit..... you'll get most of it out. You can also try to use a garden hose sealed with your hand to rinse out the system, though i sometimes worry then about the concentration of coolant you mix, as you'll have pure water in the system.

My thoughts are if your coolant doesn't come out black, red, or brown, you're probably "okay" just replacing "the bulk of it". Take a few hoses off, once it stops dripping, fill it back up. Your mileage may vary.

-Craig '85GL turned WESTY BOSTIG in the back