Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:01:02 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Power steering question
Comments: To: Andrew Philbrick <herrschildkrote@GMAIL.COM>

All the Vanagons with PS called for the Dextron type AFT in them. Dunno about earlier vans. I had an 68 model but no power steering.

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

Andrew Philbrick wrote: > Thanks for the advice all. We also own two transporters ('72 and '74) so I > am used to not having power steering in vehicles. I just really didn't want > to damage the rack or pump. > > Doubly thanks for the fluid advice. I didn't know we should be using > Dextron fluid so when I refill I will get a hold of some. Is there a > version that is better for our vans (ie - II, III, or IV)? > > Andrew > > > > On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:23 PM, John Rodgers <inua@charter.net> wrote: > > >> Yes, you can operate without the pump. >> >> Simply remove the drive belt on the pump or cut it. Leave the pump in place >> to keep dirt, debris, and water out of the system until you have the >> replacement pump in hand and/or make the necessary fluid line repairs. Once >> repairs are made, fill the fluid reservoir, start the engine, and then >> rotate the steering to the locks both ways several times. This will bleed >> air from the system. Be sure to add sufficient fluid after cycling the >> steering a few times. Always use Dextron II, III, or IV ATF in the system. >> NEVER EVER use "Power Steering Fluid" as sold by your FLAPS. It is >> definitely the wrong stuff and will damage the seals in the PS rack and in >> the pump. >> >> > > >