Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jan 2010 13:34:17 -0700
From:         Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@CYBERTRAILS.COM>
Subject:      Re: roadtrip
Comments: To: Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@VERIZON.NET>

Best of luck on your planned summer adventure.

I have camped many times in Yellowstone and the Tetons, always great places, here are some thoughts:

I never make reservations just because I hate having to meet a schedule. In Yellowstone I prefer Norris CG which, as far as I know, is first-come-first served. Nice rolling/rocky area and an easy walk to Norris Basin geysers making at least one day when you don't even have to drive the van.

If you'll be coming in the East Entrance you might camp in Cody or one of the Forest Service CGs just outside the park to get to Norris by mid-morning.

I have usually been there in the summer and though the big attractions (Old Faithful & the Falls) draw crowds there are so many trails and less visited spots that I never regard the throngs as much of a problem.

A couple of suggested family hikes: Mt Washburn & Cascade Lake.

I always enjoy a swim in Yellowstone Lake -- usually cold but a bracing experience.

East of Yellowstone in Cody WY is the Buffalo Bill museum. I was skeptical but totally impressed once I went. Incredible collections of art and artifacts relating to the American Indian and the West.

For the Grand Tetons: there is a Forest Service CG (Hatchet) just east of the Moran entrance. I generally stay there the night before entering the park, makes it easy to arrive early at Colter Bay CG for a good spot.

An excellent Native American museum at the Colter Bay Visitors Center.

A float trip down the Snake River can be great for the family, these can be booked at the Colter Bay shopping area.

Swimming is much warmer here, several nice spots on Jackson Lake that are walking distance from the Colter CG, I like the north side of the peninsula that juts out into the lake.

Family hikes in the Tetons: Jenny Lake (hike, boat ride and a swim) & Swan Lake/Hermitage Point.

Enjoy your trip & don't be like the guy I overheard at Canyon Village: "Okay honey, we'll see the Falls right now then we can get to the 3:04 eruption of Old Faithful and still have time to make our 5:00 dinner reservation in Jackson".

Geo