Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:56:25 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: troubleshooting intermittency
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

I find the Vanagon an "Honest and reasonable" vehicle. I do enjoy working on my Vanagon because it is pretty straightforward, unlike many vehicles. You got screws, bolts, nuts, and real mechanical fasteners holding real wires and stuff, rather than clips, adhesives, solid state modules and 'sub-assemblies'. Mine even has wind-up windows and a BIG steering wheel for 'power steering'...Cool simple stuff like that, stuff that I can 'fix' with a wrench without a diagnoistic computer and a dealership visit...But when something goes 'off' in the electronics with a Vanagon, I find it cheap enough to just throw parts at it...Unlike my old Porsche with it's $2800 engine computer (if you could find a used one..new no longer available...) I found one for $30 at my local junkyard for the inline four VW motor... All the mechanical aptitude and interest in working on a car isn't worth much when your brand new Ferrari or Lambo breaks down in the backcountry...Heck, you have to drop the engine to get to the spark plugs on a Porsche Boxster, and that will void the warrantee if you do it yourself...But I still would like to take a few laps of Le Mans in one of those more than I would like to wrench on it... Wonder how long a lap at Le Mans would take in a Westie? I guess you could at least nap half way round in some comfort..