Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:55:56 -0500
From:         "Peter T. Owsianowski" <pnoceanwesty@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Zetec Install Pics

My friend, Kenny Rogers asked me to post these pics on the list:

Yes, the famous "Dancing Kenny" from the LEAKOIL Kelley's Island campout 3 years ago, not the singer Kenny Rogers.

Kenny is now retired and living in Prescott, AZ.

Below is Kenny's narration and the link to pics on Picasa. As you can see by the pics, he is pretty proud of that Zetec!

Pics here: *http://tiny.cc/XO9sC* <http://tiny.cc/XO9sC>

On Jan. 4, I started and with my new friend Peter McCurdy, a Porsche Kraftfahrzevgmechaniker (master mechanic) removed and installed a brand new zero mile, non rebuilt 2003 Ford Zetec 2.0 motor in my 85 VW Westphalia camper from Ford Racing Division through Bostig Engineering.

Things also done were new rear brakes, 1 left rear wheel cylinder, remove cv joint assemblies on both side and repack bearings. Install new tranny coolant cooler as advised by Pete O. Split auto tran from rear end and install new gasket and tranny seal. Cleand up starter and repaint. Cleaned tranny. Cleaned engine bay.

We had problems with downloading software from SCT into the ecm (the Ford brain). After 2 days got it solved. Bostig Engineering had installed the wires to the ecm in different positions and a wire also fell out. Fixed that. The motor fired up ran perfectly except for a fast idle at 1900 rpm. Readajusted throttle valve body at a switch. Now idles at 1000 rpm.

We took Sat. and Sun. off. Completed the install on Jan. 14 at 1 pm. Packed the van and left the house for Lake Havasu at 3 pm., The maiden voyage to "Busess by the Bridge 14" event. Van engine quit the next town over about 20 miles away. Turn over no start. Had van flatbeded back home. I forget to replaced the fuel filter. I cut it open and it was filled with rusty flakes. I installed a new one. That solved the problem. Checked two code in OBD scanner, had 2 codes. One for a disconnected wire at coil pack and speed sensor not reading properly. Fixed those problems and cleared codes . Drove 450 miles no more problems. You gotta be careful, the van was doing 90 mph sometimes on the flats and the pedal was not even to the metal. I backed off. At 70 mph it's at 4000rpm.

I'm cruisin' now and for the rest of my life. At the event, people who saw it liked it and said it was professionally done.

P.S. If anybody is interested I have a complete (everything out of the engine bay) a 1.9 VW Vanagon engine for sale. It ran great right up to install approx 130 psi per cylinder. New water pump and new muffler. Miles on original motor 123,456.7. Just the typical coolant leak. But not too bad. A video of the engine running for the last time before removal is available.

Kenny Rogers kensue356@cableone.net 928-759-2862 248-641-3870 Prescott Valley, Az

Pete '79 Westy "Aardvark" '87 Westy "JoesVan" WWW.Busesbythebeach.com