Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:03:39 -0800
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: old vs new... STRANDED in South Florida - NEED TECH
              HELP-water in fuel

I started out with a '59 and was sold on the VW bus, several years (& different buses) passed. One day I wanted roll down windows to hang my arm out as went tooling down the road and bought a '71, it was great. Sometime later I was driving a '79 and was looking for heater boxes and ended up in a Vanagon, an '86 syncro with real heat! It was still a VW bus, it had roll down windows and real heat. Zip forward another 10 or 15 years and my current VW bus has a Subaru 2.2 in it. Now my VW bus does all that and drives like a regular car, even up hills. I like driving the Vanagon.

Rob becida@comcast.net

At 1/24/2010 10:37 AM,John Rodgers wrote: >Tom, > >I noted your joining the gang here to learn in anticipation of getting a >van. If the AFM is of such significance to you, why not begin from the >outset with the idea of getting a van with a dead engine and do a >conversion to a Suburu 2.2L or better at the very outset. You would >really have something then. I would never disparage the earlier vans, >but they are from a different era - and they do not perform or ride >anything like a Vanagon. I think the early vans are very cool, >especially the splitties, but man - they don't ride or perform anything >like a Vanagon, and for that difference, I would never harken back to >The Good Old Days for the earlier machines. > >John Rodgers >Clayartist and Moldmaker >88'GL VW Bus Driver >Chelsea, AL >Http://www.moldhaus.com > > > >Tom Hargrave wrote: >>Mark, >> >>Your troubleshooting seems you can rule out the mechanical fuel system >>including water in the gas or diesel in the tank. What's left is electrical. >> >> >>BTW, I don't own a Vanagon. I joined this group to learn with plans to buy >>one, but I'm concerned about the airflow sensors wearing out with no new >>replacements available. I may change my mind and buy a bay window bus with a >>D-jet system. At least I know enough about D-Jet to understand what I need >>to keep with me to stay on the road "regardless".