Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Jan 2010 20:14:49 -0500
From:         Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tight Canvas??
Comments: To: Tom Buese <tombuese@COMCAST.NET>

Hi OEM style canvas ( Cotton ) will act like a pair of jeans. Damp or wet it will stretch. When it dries it will shrink up a bit. Like taking a pair of jeans out of the dryer and putting on ( tight fit ) wear for a bit and it will stretch out. Dampen your canvas then put up. let dry real good then it should hold a form. When cotton gets wet it will swell to prevent water from entering the top. Now, If it is Acrylic I have found that most Manufactures with the "sunbrella" versions of Pop top canvas are using NON Boat Cover/Awning grade. They are using Furniture Fabric grade since it has a better hand ( easier to work with ). This unfortunately is not water proof as they may state. Sorry guys but that is the facts. True Awning /Boat cover Sunbrella is Fairly Rigid and water repellant. Sunbrella is NOT dimensionally stable and will stretch and shrink over time. At my shop we do not use sunbrella for tight applications like Cockpit, Bow and snap on style covers since they will change and get slack or shrink which is not good for a custom top. It does work well for Bimini's, Conv. Tops and such where it can vary in shape and not really matter. But, If your going to replace your top I would recommend the OE Canvas over the Sunbrella versions. Now I do not sell them or Make them for people since there are plenty of companies out there making them there is no reason to get into it. Good Luck C-ya Jonce