Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:59:59 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: propex heater problems
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>

Joy,

Bob's right about "blink codes". If there is a malfunction you should be getting a series of red light flashes. The condition I'm describing below should be giving you a series of five blinks shortly after the ten second fan cycle you describe.

What you're describing sounds identical to what my Propex was doing a while back. Turns out there is a small non-motorized fan within the unit that should be able to spin freely, indicating that there is proper air flow through the unit. The fan has a black and white pie chart on it and an optical pickup. This is a safety so that the gas son't start flowing until the fan knows that there is air movement.

Karl has these fans available, and they are only a minor PITA to replace. Swing out here where it's warm and I'll replace it for you.

Karl W

|-----Original Message----- |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of |Joy Hecht |Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:48 PM |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |Subject: Re: propex heater problems | |On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@gmail.com> wrote: | |> Turn the rocker switch left to begin the start/heater-on cycle, and move |> the |> temp knob all the way down to the "little" lines. The fan will come on as |> you've |> said, turn the knob toward the large lines which is telling the heater |how |> hot |> you want it to heat, how long you want it to run before it reaches that |> temp |> and shuts off. |> |> The heater is supposed to be "started" with the thermostat dial at the |> lowest |> setting, then once the on/rocker switch is turned left/down and the fan |> begins |> blowing that indicates your start cycle has started. When it's very cold, |> the |> green light on the right comes on at the lowest thermostat setting but |when |> it's not so cold, the thermostat has to be rotated to get the green light |> to come |> on and the start/heat cycle to start. |> |> The red light just means the heater is on and when the ambient inside |cabin |> temp gets low enough, the green/start light comes on and the fan starts. |> |> Hope this helps get the chill off your home. |> |> |Nope. I did just as you said. No matter where the dial is, the fan stays |on for ten seconds if I switch it to the left. If I turn the dial to the |little lines, turn the switch left, and then rotate the dial to the big |lines, the lights do not turn green, and the fan goes off after ten |seconds. | |It's 40 in the van now, which isn't really that cold, but I'd think the |heat |would go on at 40, woudln't it? Or does it only work at lower |temperatures? | |I do have propane in the tank! | | |Joy | | |bob |> |> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Joy Hecht <jhecht@alum.mit.edu> wrote: |> |>> Hi all, |>> |>> I thought the south was supposed to be warm! But no. And my propex |>> heater |>> doesn't seem to be working. |>> |>> Can someone who has one (or knows them) give me some info? I have this |>> switch box/thermostat for it. The switch can go left, right or in the |>> middle (middle is off) and the thermostat dial can go from what I assume |>> is |>> minimal heat (very short bars on the dial) to hottest (long bars on the |>> dial). |>> |>> When I switch it left, towards the little picture of a flame, red and |>> yellow |>> lights come on. The fan blows for ten seconds and stops. No heat, just |>> cold |>> air. When I switch it right, towards some other little picture that I |>> can't |>> interpret, one green light comes on. The fan blows constantly. No |heat, |>> just cold air. Turning the thermostat dial makes no difference to any |of |>> it. |>> |>> What is supposed to happen when I turn the switch either way? And what |>> would be causing this lack of heat? |>> |>> |>> |>> |>> Joy and Matilda, who are way too cold in Chattanooga |>> |> |>