Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:40:20 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 15 inch wheels: tire size
Comments: To: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>

the 70 won't, most likely. and it depends on which clam shell you have, if wanting to not modify the clamshell in any way.

there are 3 'sizes' that I know of . where the bolt goes ...very early vanagon have the bracket there 'flat.' next up.......normal vanagons, that had 185 R 14 C or 195/75 R 14 LT's ... that bracket is slightly dropped, allowing a wider tire.

then the kind you really want ...is an even more dropped bracket. Vans that could have Reinforced 205/70 R 14 tires....... have the more dropped clamshell bracket. for example...my 87 Wolfsburg ( needs new home btw ) came with 205/70's and a michilin 205/65 R 15 C fits in the clamshell perfectly.

I have an 87 GL here....and I was trying to put one of my 205/65 15's in there, and it would not fit. The bracket didn't have the more 'dropped' drop at the bolt point. on that one I'm using a longer bolt and a space to make it fit right ... but that's what you need.... either make, or get the more dropped bracket from vans that came with Reinforced 205/70 R 14's . Maybe all US model syncro's had that more dropped clamshell.

I doubt the 205 /70 15 size would fit easily. In 2WD drive you don't absolutely have to run the same size spare tire ..but that's nicer of course.

Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <becida@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:09 AM Subject: Re: 15 inch wheels: tire size