Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:18:06 -0800
From:         Matt Thyer <matt_thyer@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Still running like ...
Comments: To: Diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com, wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

I went out to The Shop this morning and messed around with Zeno's fuel injection pump with Don and Dan. The good news is that I was able to record some video of the van's bad behavior after the fuel injection pump rebuild. I'm hoping that someone with a little more knowledge than the three of us collectivity can muster might make suggestions that will result in a fix.

The following has been tried to no effect. 1) Prime injection pump a. Use Mityvac hand vacuum pump to suck on the return line port coming out of the injection pump, ensuring that no air enters the system b. Use the IV approach to suck fuel from an extra tank held above the engine ensuring no air and adequate return. 2) Clear crud from tank a. Remove fuel line at filter b. Open tank cap c. Shoot air into system to see what comes out 3) Ensure fuel filter is clear of crud 4) Ensure timing and valves are correct, easy to get one tooth off. a. Adjust timing both ways experimentally

I'm considering the following replacements, however, it's important to note that Zeno ran well prior to the R&R work on the fuel pump. Changing this will introduce more change to the system compared to its original (working) state. Thus my reluctance to monkey around anymore than necessary. 1) Replacement . Replace fuel injectors . Replace injector inserts . Replace fuel filter I've included two photos of the engine compartment before and after in the hopes that the comparison will result in identification of some important difference. So far, I've got nothing.

You can see the photos and video here http://tinyurl.com/y9kwjoo/

Matt Thyer http://zenoswagen.wordpress.com/